Don’t Hire the Plug and Play
By Steven Rosen
Welcome to Sales Management TV. My goal is to provide you with insights and pearls that you can easily use in your day to day work.
I am Steven Rosen author of 52 Sales Management Tips and executive sales coach. This week’s tip is about hiring the right candidate. You have a vacant territory, and you have narrowed your search down to two candidates.
The first candidate Joe knows the products, knows customers and knows the industry. He strikes you as competent but not that too hungry. Joe is what I call a plug and play. He is ready to go and won’t require much of your time
The second candidate Rob is passionate, driven and eager to prove himself. He has some sales experience but will require some work. Rob will need training and coaching to get up to speed. You really like his attitude and willingness to do what it takes.
I have worked with many sales managers who feel under the gun to hire. They are overburdened with achieving their sales numbers, dealing with head office and now they have to hire a rep. I am sure you can relate. If you are feeling pressured the easiest thing you can do is hire Joe the plug and play. He will make your life easier in the short term.
But you need to resist the temptation. The tip of the week is DON’T HIRE THE PLUG AND PLAY.
The plug and play will not always give you a high level of performance in the long term. I like Rob. He has a winning attitude. He may have a slower start, but in within six months, he will develop the relationships and knowledge that he lacks. He will most likely be a better performer over time.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s tip. Do you want to get more Sales Management Tips?
Sales Management Training
Want more sales management training tips? Check out these valuable sales management tips on our YouTube Channel Sales Management TV.
- Sales Management Training Tip – #1 Just do It!
- Sales Management Training Tips – #2 Start Asking
- Sales Management Training Tip #28 Hiring Top Performers Made Simple
- Sales Management Training Tip #29 Use Science when Hiring Top Sales People
- Sales Management Training Tips: Set your Goals for Success
- Sales Management Training Tip: The Power of Handwritten Recognition
- Sales Management Training Tip – Focus on What’s Going to Make You Successful!
- Sales Management Training Tip: Shift your Coaching Style
- Sales Management Training Tip #49 – The Theory of 8
- Sales Management Training Tip: Don’t Hire the Plug and Play
Do you want to get more Sales Management Tips?
Click on the link below to get my FREE eBook with 6 of my favorite Tips!
Remember you hold the key to unlocking the potential of your sales team.
Want to find out more about 52 Sales Management Tips – The Sales Manager’s Success Guide?